Thursday 6 October 2016

Handrail...


And back to the Buckjumper locomotive body build at Missenden... 

One of the characteristics of the prototype I'm building is the handrail at the front of the locomotive is in three sections, not the more usual single continuous rail.  The handrail on the front of the smokebox is separate and circular.  It's also quite close to both the edge of the smokebox itself, and the front face of it.

I judged the location of the three handrail knobs by eye, and carefully drilled the holes with a 0.4mm drill in a pin-vice.  The holes needed a touch with a reamer and then I could fit the Short version of Alan Gibson handrail knobs.  However before fitting these, I had to make the handrail itself.

If you're forming a circular handrail between your fingers, it can often end up looking kinked or uneven.  As this was a separate section, and I didn't have to worry about a straight leg on either side, I could employ something for better effect.  So I borrowed a set of GW Models rolling bars from Tony Gee - the great thing about Missenden is someone will *always* have the tool you left at home.  I fed in some 0.45 nickel silver wire, and rolled...



 

The end result was a nice smooth curve.



I cut it to slightly over length, for later trimming back, slid the three handrail knobs on, and secured them in their holes with the faintest touch of 100 degree solder.  I'm quite pleased with the result, shown here balanced on a Missenden Mug (no, not Tim Shackleton...).



 

So that was how things finished after the very productive weekend.  But inspired, I made more progress at home in the next couple of days...
Cheers
Flymo

No comments:

Post a Comment